Thursday, February 18, 2010

Orcas, Sea Lions and Reflection. Oh My!

Hello, my faithful followers!
Today the weather has been a balmy 32 degrees, sunny and beautiful. I am not joking when I say that it feels balmy. In fact, my kids actually complain about how hot it is here when the weather gets this warm. It makes me really worry about my students' productivity in the spring, if they are already rolling down the windows in the car, wearing t-shirts outside, and falling asleep because it is so warm out, I am anticipating kids walking around in bathing suits in 50 degree weather. That will be interesting.

Speaking of interesting, I have some fun tibits of my adventures in Alaska to tell you. First of all, I spent last weekend in Juneau for our second JVC retreat. We arrived in Juneau on Friday afternoon and picked up by one of the Juneau JVs. He didn't bother driving us to their house or straight to the retreat site, we have prioities, you know. He drove us straight to the Alaskan Brewing Co. for a 2.5 hour long beer tasting. AWESOME. There is no better introduction back into society than hanging out with 28 other great people (all the JVs met there) and tasting lots of delicious beers. After having a few tastes (ok, like 10) we all headed to the Juneau JV house for birthday cakes and then headed to the Shrine, our retreat location. The Shrine was a beautiful location, full of trees, right on the water and full of marine life!

On our first night there, Justin and I went climbing on the rocks to get down to the ocean. Unfortuantely, he was wearing hiking books and I was wearing my Uggs. My Uggs are fantastic, amazing shoes, except when you need traction. In Bethel, I slip on the ice/snow on my walk to work once a week, like clockwork. On the slippery, barnacle covered rocks in Juneau, I struggled a little bit. It was even worse when we met up with PJ and some of the Anchorage JVs and tried to climb the hill back to the Shrine. Getting down the hill was easy, just kind of slide gently downhill. Climbing up, in the dark, with nothing but a little soil and mossy rock to hold onto. That was interesting. It didn't help that I was the only girl and I really felt like I needed to show that I could hang with the boys. Yea... that didn't happen. I was all sorts of clumsy and needed all the help I could get to get up the hill. Yay for strong women. Haha.

Anyway, the retreat was amazing, I love the JVs from all over Alaska, I love group reflections and I love retreats. How could I not have a blast? The weekend was full of gossip and laughter, sharing and serious talks. Also, I got to see orcas and sea lions!!!! So exciting!

Back at BABS, it has been emotional breakdown week for my students. Everyone is crying, breaking up, crying, fighting, leaving BABS, crying. Yippee! But, like I was telling a friend of mine, it is not despite of the hard days that I love my job, it is because of these hard days, and the joy that comes hand in hand, that I love my job. I can't believe my year is halfway over!

Anyway, more stories to come, I need to head out, but I hope everyone is doing well!

Love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment